A Travellerspoint blog

February 28

Last day in Lima

View Ecuador and Peru on katdill's travel map.

We packed up and checked out of our B&B. They stored our luggage for us as our flight doesn't leave until after midnight. We walked over and visited a couple of artisan markets before catching the bus to downtown. The Lima city bus system seems very chaotic. Many different companies running many different quality buses on the same routes. The conductors call out the route as they approach each stop. The bus drivers try to beat other buses to the next stop. Very competitive, it seems.
We had lunch at a Hari Krishna restaurant - good food and very cheap. We walked over to the Plaza del Armes (I think every city in South America calls their town square the same thing!!!) and had a look at the old buildings. Thank goodness for the colonnades, I was trying to stay out of the sun, to protect my sunburn. We meandered back towards Miraflores, the neighbourhood we are staying in until foot weariness dictated it was time to catch the bus again. We rode down to the central park in Miraflores and sat in the shade for a while, eating ice cream. Then we walked down to the Malecon (walkway along the oceanfront). I sat in the shade in a nice park while Don did some exploring. Then it was time for supper - ended up eating in the noisiest restaurant possible, I think. We sat along the busy street where all the buses come. I counted 24 buses in 5 minutes. Unbelievable! People getting on and off in the middle of the road, dodging other buses and cars.
Then back to the B&B to pick up our luggage and wait for the taxi we had arranged. It didn't arrive so we had the desk clerk call another one. Finally got to the airport around 9:00 p.m. and settled in to wait for our flight. After taking off around 1:00 we got some sleep on the flight to Houston and arrived there on time. We got our flight to Denver OK, but the plane didn't make it off the runway - they could not get one of the motors to start, so back to the gate we went. We had only an hour to make our connection in Denver to Saskatoon so it was obvious we would not make it. After the usual stand in line (which we are getting very good at!!), we got on a flight to Calgary. They figured that there are six flights to Saskatoon a day from Calgary so there is more chance of getting on a flight. All the seats are taken on every flight until March 3rd. They have us booked on that flight, which gets in at 1:00 a.m. on Saturday, but hopefully we will be able to get on standby on an earlier flight. Keep your fingers crossed for us.

Posted by katdill 06:42 Archived in Peru

Email this entryFacebookStumbleUpon

Table of contents


Hi Kathy and Don

We have enjoyed your blog so very much. We look forward to each entry. We will have to get on that for our next trip. Sorry about your airline problems. We have been there and know how frustrating it is - especially when you are already tired. Keeping our fingers crossed that you will get an earlier plane home. Thanks for sharing your adventure. Love Reta & Art

by Reta & Art

Comments on this blog entry are now closed to non-Travellerspoint members. You can still leave a comment if you are a member of Travellerspoint.

Enter your Travellerspoint login details below

( What's this? )

If you aren't a member of Travellerspoint yet, you can join for free.

Join Travellerspoint